From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:01:17 -0800
> Dr. Hoffman ( Tucson Bee Lab) and Myself in public (and others in private)
> are deeply concerned about bees in Arizona with *capensis like traits* (
> thelytoky / parthenogenesis).

I am very disappointed to see indiscreet words put into anyone's mouth, and
especially when it is bound to cause ill-will, if believed.  When I was a
BEE-L moderator, we repeatedly refused to OK your posts, Bob, using that
phraseology, and misquoting DR. Degrandi-Hoffman.

In fact, I sent her a copy of the submission at the time, and asked
specifically queried Dr. Degrandi-Hofman if these were here words. Normally,
I am very discreet in sharing my correspondence, but, seeing as this was
posted to BEE-L, I shall share her response:

Here is what she said:

November 14, 2003 3:55 PM

I appreciate that. I have tried to be very careful in stating that the
traits we have found in our African bees also are found in capensis, but I
did not say our African bees have strong capensis traits. In fact they do
not. Although we have seen thelytoky, it is at no where near the frequency
that it occurs in capensis.
Best Regards,
Gloria

Dr. Gloria DeGrandi-Hoffman