From:
Dave and Judy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:06:36 -0400
This topic, and also the pancake honey syrup topic, is near to my heart.  One of
my favorite topics during any type of  'honeybee presentation'.

The use of the term "US Grade A" on a label.  Turn over the bottle and read the
back; or put on those cursed reading glasses and read the small print.  You
often will find the honey contains imported honey.  The use of the term leads
the consumer to believe the honey is US honey.  Hmmm.  We know that the term is
used to "describe" the product, not its origins.  There may be nothing wrong
with the  Canadian, or Argentinean honey that is used in these "US Grade A"
honey containers.  However, I firmly believe, the label is misleading.

I often buy honey from other places.  Love to compare and taste.  But I do so
knowingly.

Before any presentation I go to a local grocer and buy a couple jars of the "US
Grade A" honey.  (Yeah, I know supporting what I am attempting to end!)  But I
offer tastes of my honey, and tastes of the US Grade A.  And any other honeys
that club members may have brought.  And I always point out the origin of the
honey on the store bought honeys.  I cannot count the number of people who will,
as they said, remember to "read the label" the next time they buy honey.  (Of
course, very few of our customers will ever go the grocer for honey ever again!
Ahem!)

It is an unfortunate state of affairs that we must now take on the additional
task of education of always reading ALL parts of the labels.  We already spend
oodles of time speaking of bees, the need for more beekeepers, the use of local
honey, etc.

This year I baked up a batch of good ole homemade biscuits, kept them in a Nesco
oven with wet paper towels (to avoid drying out) and aluminum foil between the
towels and the biscuits.  And kept them steaming hot during the whole evening at
the county fair.  And offered a bit of biscuit along with the taste of the
honey.  Perhaps next year pancakes will be added to the list.

As with everything else we are attempting to help the public learn about
honeybees, I have added "Read the Label".  And I am outspoken about it.  I will
accept the responsibility of teaching my corner of Kentucky, USA.  And if we
each, everyone of us, accept this responsibility for our local area, we will
have solved, or at least enlightened the public, about another area and,
hopefully, increased the consumption of honey.

Not an easy, nor innovative, solution.  But one that I can afford to do.  While
we wait for National Honey Boards to do their share.

Judy in Kentucky, USA