From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:32:24 -0800
John Mitchell wrote:

>    Could it be that low spots are places where colder air collects, so stress
> is greater?
>    I was out sighting a new apiary the other day in the midst of snowmelt
> when only patches were left, and it was good opportunity to see the cold
> spots and micro-climates of the landscape revealed. Timing is everything.

Hello John,
 Lowland around here is near sea level. The water moderates the cold in the
winter, so its about 10 F warmer than my place at 600 feet and inland.
 Micro climates are very important in placing bees.Over the years I have found a
great difference in honey production do to location.In the mountains is where it
shows up the most.2000 plus feet southern exposure and on rock.The rock holds the
heat for the night.
 I have gone so far as getting inferred shots over the olympic mountains to
locate the warm spots.
Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck
Tahuya River Apiaries