From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:27:41 -0500
> I would dispute the value to beekeeping worldwide for coumaphos vs comb contamination etc.

Nobody has proven that miticide buildup in hives causes harm, other than the promotion of resistant mites. In fact, Dennis showed that coumaphos residue correlated with the better bees. In fact, this month Keith Delaplane summarized his findings that miticides in general do not harm hives -- but varroa does for sure.

This whole anti-Bayer, anti-Monsanto thing is distracting us from the real problems. Bee health will not improve by going after farmers. If you think that beekeeping is incompatible with agriculture, either negotiate with the farmers to use different methods or move the bees away. The bees can be moved, but not the farms.

If the farmers really think they need bees, they will accommodate beekeepers. If they don't think they need bees, move the bees away and let them find out. The real clout that beekeepers have is the pollination service. America does not owe beekeepers a place to put their bees. This is a free market situation which needs to work itself out.

PLB