From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 2009 07:23:26 +1000
Hi All,

I'm currently in Australia.  Beekeepers and govt agencies here will need to
make decisions about miticide use when varroa finally invades.  This is a
really hot topic here, and they will benefit greatly from our learning
curve.  Australia absolutely needs to export honey to survive, and the
market is for "clean" honey and wax.

Similar to situation on the Big Island.

Re imidacloprid, there's only one main beekeeper here who is (very strongly)
convinced that it causes problems (Australia is a good "control" group,
since they don't use miticides in their hives).  The rest of the beeks who
go onto Gaucho-treated canola (very common) don't see any problems.  The
positions here are polarized, as they are in the States.

I spent part of a day with the Asian bee (A ceranae) surveillance and
eradication crew--10 people in the field full time.  Doing a great job.
Will likely be able to gauge success in a year.  Will write about it in ABJ.

Randy Oliver