From:
Yoon Sik Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:57:29 -0400
Greetings, Bob et al.

Recently there were two major posts explaining how commercial beekeepers
must maintain the status quo because they must pay their employees, among
others, so that their children too can go to school, etc.  Given such “cut-
throat” business environment, as Bob agrees to disagree, one must do
anything and everything to keep his/her business afloat, including such
unproven measures as shop-towel methods, perhaps, out of desperation.
Hence the constant blame against the scientists for being so slow in
developing a quick shot in the arm so that they can go on business as
usual, and hence the rationale as to how the bee-researchers are always
years behind the practical commercial beekeepers, as if the researchers
were intellectually challenged blooming baboons.  Not so.

We are talking about short-term and long-term gains here.

Micro-vision beekeeping celebrates instant gratification, here and right
now, profit or sink, for I have mouths to feed, whereas the proponents of
sustainable beekeeping are pointing out the long term survivability of
bees and beekeeping beyond our generation and beyond our great grand
children’s generation, not a myopic vision, but a macro-vision from a
holistic point of view.

Frankly people get laid off by the thousands due to this near-sightedness
in any industry.  GM and Ford had laid off a few hundred thousands because
they have failed to envision the long-term sustainability of their
business model: when people from other countries (Europe and Asia, for
instance) were focusing on fuel-economy, they kept producing gas-guzzlers
for a short-term gain, not realizing that the finite limit of the
available fossil fuel and its potential price-hike that had happened once
before, a CCD in auto industry they decided to ignore for immediate gain.
GM and Ford, among others, are sinking because they were myopic in relying
on SUV’s and F-150 pickups, respectively.  Yes, I too have seen Hummer 2
caught in rush-hour traffic doing 5 miles per hour, which made me
think, “Going off-roading somewhere, Buddy?”

Ford has been proud for its hybrid SUV, arguing it is the first hybrid SUV
in America when in fact Toyota Prius, though not an SUV, has been around
far longer than its green frog.  Frankly we are behind in innovative and
long-term thinking in many areas, often blind-sighted by capitalism.
Invariably, our so-called innovation is a market-dressing, a gimmick for
suckers.  What happened to American ingenuity?  We lag behind because of
our greed.

Even if one has developed mite-resistant strain of queens, what makes you
think that I would be selling them, knowing fully well they would be put
right back into the same-old practice of commercial bee-having?  All the
papers indicate that mite-resistance takes time, at least a decade or so
via natural selection.  Even if one finds a mite-fighting or mite-
resisting strain, the queens, having just barely survived the ordeal of
vigorous selection, will not be so perfect that if one buys these queens,
one will be off the chemicals overnight.  Nothing is so black and white in
real world.  This is a pain-in-the-ass, gradual process, a gray area
common in nature, demanding a long-term, delayed gratification, and
patience.  Thankfully, however, given bees quick regeneration, such strain
is bound to come sooner than we might think, especially in the advent of
AHB’s.  In fact, such strains might be here right now, unawares.

But how can you put these strains right back into the old practice and
EXPECT a different result?

Yoon, a sideliner with fewer than 100 and going for longer than twenty
years