From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 03:12:35 -0600
>     On the fifth or so hive, I smoked them lightly and opened the box
> whereupon I was jumped by about 10 drones.

If you have an excluder on the hive and some drone brood has been left
above it to hatch  -- and if your equipment does not have the leaks that
much commercial equipment has -- then the drones cannot get out to fly
after they hatch.  That is until you open the lid; they can then explode
out of the hive like a bomb going off when you lift the lid.  This
particularly true if there are many, if they have been pent up for long,
and if it happens to be a hot day.

I don't know if this is what you experienced, but might help explain it.

Allen

--
Buy, sell, trade, get a job, hire help, announce a
meeting, advertise a business or publication...