From:
Mark Berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2014 14:21:17 -0500
Just wondering how some of these things showed up in my 8 hive pollen sample.

2,4 Dimethylphenyl formamide(DMPF)-Level of Detection: 4ppb, Level detected: 19.5ppb, National Average 205.7ppm, National Prevalence 21.3%

Coumaphos- LOD:1ppb, Level detected: 21.6ppb, National Average:76.4ppb, National Prevalence: 37.7%

Coumaphos oxon- LOD:1ppb, Level detected: trace, National Average: 28.1ppb, National prevalance:3.5%

Fluvalinate- LOD:1ppb, Level detected: trace, National Average:52.3ppb, National prevalence: 50.8%

Pendimethalin- LOD:6ppb, Level detected:trace, National average:29.2ppb, National prevalence:11.3%

Thymol- LOD:50ppb, Level detected:349ppb, National average:1799.2, National prevalence:21.1%

The 2,4Dimethylphenyl formamide aka Amitraz In understand where that could have come from. As well as the Thymol and the Fluvalinate. But the Coumaphos and Coumaphas oxon is a question. As well as the Pendiethalin, a herbicide used to control annual grasses and some broadleaf weeds.

I have not used Checkmite plus in my hives since some time in the late 1990s. Could there still be enough Coumaphas in the wax of my combs to leach into pollen stored in those combs? How long does it take for Coumaphas to break down into C. oxon. If it takes more than 10 years that's pretty stable stuff, isn't it?

The Pendiethalin must have been brought into the hive by bees, right? Who knows where that could have come from. Most anywhere I imagine. My hives are almost all located on or near farms where corn, soy beans, alfalfa, and other field crops are grown. And they are used to pollinate NC blueberries and NY apples.

Did the Thymol get into the pollen when the Apigaurd was on the hives? Or is there enough Thymol in the wax that it moved into the pollen stored after the treatment?

Does 349ppb of Thymol make it unpalletable for the bees?

I also wonder how what was detected compares to the National Average Prevalence. What is the average number of individual pesticides detected in pollen samples across the Nation.

Maybe I should ask these questions of the folks at [log in to unmask] But I thought someone here would have some ideas too.