From:
Al Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 21:09:13 -0500
> Will the bees
> mend this cell  and save the queen?  Also, where did the egg come from?  I
> suppose I could have missed eggs from the first inspection, but there was NO
> other brood and there were so few bees, I am sure I would have seen her.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that you may have a laying worker in the
hive and it is just a drone egg in the queen cell.

Another possible answer is that the hive did die and a swarm found the hive ready for
them to make it their new home.

The final thing I can think of is one of the frames you brought over had a young larvae
that was used by the bees to raise a marginal queen and they are now in the process of
supercedure.

If you can add another frame that has eggs and brood you may be able to salvage the hive.
I would at least consider getting a queen for them.

--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net