From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 19:34:53 -0400
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It is my understanding that the queens go to drone congregation areas
different for those that the drones from the same bee yard (area) go to.

> how far away should the drone producing colonies be from the queen
mating colonies?

Hello Mike,

Research has shown, drones prefer DCAs nearest to the hive and queens tend
to prefer DCAs that are furthest away.  Drones will use fly ways,  to
travel between different DCA’s to find the best one, but rarely flying
more than 3 miles from the hive.  The average distance that queen matings
take place was found to be 1.25 miles from the hive.

Best Wishes,
Joe