From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:00:56 -0600
> I believe Api Life var gives good control of varroa as long as you follow
> the label instructions. I used Api Life var on problem Italians last year
> and plan to use again this year.

Do you know what your mite levels are?

My understanding is that you need fairly warm weather for the duration
of the treatment for it to work.  Placement is critical, too.

These "soft" methods are generally successful -- when they are used
correctly under the correct conditions -- when infestations are below
6%, but less successful on greater loads.

When weather gets colder and especially after the brood has hatched,
oxalic drizzling can work, and is quite effective.  If I use anything,
I'll use oxalic drizzling. I have tested four hibes using alcohol wash
and natural drop.  Interestingly both methoids showed: 5%, 2%, 2%, and
2%.  This is while there is still quite a bit of sealed brood, so I
expect that the levels will triple, requiring my intervention.

With good weather (around 20 dgrees C) two 'mite wipes' placed 1/3 of
the way fro the back of a double brood hive can reduce the varroa by
2/3rds in a matter of several days.  repeated several times, 2/3 x 2/3
x 2/3 x 2/3... results in pretty good control.

Check the archives, but if enough are interested, I'll write more.
Maybe Medhat will say something, too, because he has been very
involved in developing and benchmarking such methods.