From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 18:45:58 -0700
--- On Sun, 3/8/09, allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Anyhow, as I recall, you do not treat for mites and
> diseases, am I correct?
>
> Assuming that, what sort of loss to mites and disease are
> you seeing in your bees?

Yes, I do not treat the bees.
I do bring in allot of ferals, so between my bees was well as strangers that I bring into the apiaries, I experience a classic collapse due to varroa which typically occurs here in September or October in about 10 percent per year, usually in the newcomers.  But interestingly, I cannot attribute any losses at other times of the year to varroa which IMO is encouraging.  A minor case of Foulbrood may occasionally pop up in a colony every 2 years or so, and these bees are shaken out and queen and combs destroyed.

> I assume an attrition of 30% over a year is normal in a
> commercial outfit,

That’s about my average loss which is acceptable to me.

You mention
> performance.  I assume you are speaking of yield?

I generally mean over all performance when I say that.

> Also, although IO may not have made it clear, the original
> question was aimed primarily at the many who use +purchased+
> stock.  I hear a lot from people who have their own survivor
> stock, but very little from those who are dependant on
> commercial channels for their stock.

Oh, I apologize, will sign off.

Best Wishes,
Joe