From:
Wayne Pitts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2014 19:24:39 -0800
I have been reading this thread with great interest, because an AFB epidemic
is not something I want to experience.  In the almost 20 years of learning
more and more about entomology, biology, and botany in an effort to  keep
bees, get them to live longer and be productive, I can count on 1 hand the
number of beekeepers I have contact with that have experienced an AFB
infestation.  I have lots of contacts, as I am a member of EAS, WAS, CSBA,
Santa Clara, and Gilroy beekeepers associations and attend as many
conferences as my schedule permits.

I have a rural site, where up to 2 years ago, I had 2 hives and a friend had
3 within a 1/2 mile diameter.   With the explosion of beekeeping, that same
1/2 mile circle now contains 24 hives.  Given the concentration of bee hives
now, one hive with AFB can lead to all of them having AFB as robbing starts.

Is there  any data to indicate the number of hives that may have AFB?
However, once upon a time, NYS had inspections and it appears they collected
data and generated metrics concerning what was found. What was the AFB
infestation rate at that time?
From the web:
http://www.gov.je/Industry/FarmingFishing/FarmingLivestock/AnimalDisease/Pag
es/AmericanFoulbrood.aspx
New Jersey inspected:
25 apiaries in 2012, 3 had AFB.  A 12% rate
50 apiaries in 2011, 7 had AFB.  A  14% rate

Is this a rate we should expect across the country, and is it high enough to
warrant more inspections?

Wayne