From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2013 10:02:06 -0500
Hi all

I don't know how many of you enjoy poring over old bee journals. Certainly it is informative and entertaining as well! Check this out:

> In 1854 Cohn proved the vegetable nature of bacteria, and showed that foul brood was caused by those bacteria. Dr. Kolbe advocated sallicylic acid for curing foul brood. Since then, It has been proven that the treatment of foul brood colonies with antisceptics is insufficient and that a successful cure is only to be expected of the colonies of bees themselves and of their natural treatment and development.

> Professor Harrison discovered, that development of the bacillus alvei is stopped by beta naphthol, also by formic add, formaldehyde and thymol. On adding 10 per cent. of formic acid to the food In the cells tor the larvae the formation of the bacillus alvei is prevented.

FOUL BROOD IN THE APIARY. Prevention, Not Cure, a Solution of the Problem. An Exhaustive Discussion of the Subject by a Pioneer In the Formalin Treatment. C. H. W. WEBER. THE AMERICAN BEE-KEEPER February 1904

so, over a century ago, formic acid and thymol were being applied to bee colonies to control pathogens. Various phenolic compounds were tried as well

Pete