From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:46:25 +0100
Cecil T.I have just received the following email.  I am sure that Claire will be happy for me to forward it to the list.  Cecil was, of course, one of the giants of British beekeeping.

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/

Dear All

I am very sorry to have to tell you that Cecil Tonsley died this morning, Saturday 26 July. As you probably know, he had been ill for some time.

Cecil made an enormous contribution to beekeeping in so many ways. He was involved with the BBKA, being the only person as far as I know to have held all offices within that organisation. He was committed to Apimondia and was a Vice-President. He was editor of the British Bee Journal for many years until it ceased publication.

We are all greatly indebted to Cecil and our thoughts and sympathies go to Nora, who was such a support to him in everything he did, and to his family.

Please would you pass on the news to any that you know. In particular, I would be grateful if somebody could inform Jeff Rounce and Ted Hooper.

Kind regards
Claire Waring

Dear All

My apologies for making this a mass circulation instead of replying individually to those who have written.

Cecil Tonsley's funeral will be on Tuesday 12 August at 2 pm at Geddington Parish Church, near Kettering, Northamptonshire.

Nora has asked for no flowers but if anyone would like to make a donation to the Alzheimer's Society or the Multiple Sclerosis Society (their grandson has MS), this can be sent to the funeral directors:

Phillips Funeral Services
25 Princes Street
Kettering
Northamptonshire
NN16 8RW

I will be making an announcement in the September issue of Bee Craft and thought it would be rather nice to include short appreciations from those who knew Cecil. If anyone would like to contribute, please would you send me a SHORT (couple of sentences) note by Friday 1 August. Sorry to restrict you, but I would like to include as many as possible and Cecil was very widely known and respected.

Kind regards
Claire Waring