From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:34:04 -0600
Murray said:
This seems a little presumptive Bob. I am not sure you know what the nature
of our management is (nor I yours of course), but it is intensive for sure,
as we cannot get a honey crop which keeps a roof over your head here without
doing so.

I actually do understand the way you keep bees because you explained your
methods to me on the Irish list and I explained mine (or maybe I didn't).
Check archives.

Our goals are the same but our methods differ greatly.

I learned the most about producing large honey crops from Dr. C.L. Farrar
and his studies on two queen hives in Wisconsin (1958) and the amount of
brood needed for max honey production.

If the list can find either of these two pieces of hard to find literature I
believe you will find both very interesting.

Two Queen colony management for production of honey by Dr. C.L. Farrar 1958
(USDA-ARS)

Dr. Farrar  kept at one time 400 two queen hives and  carefully documented
what was going on in the brood chambers.

Another must read:

"The Relationship between colony populations and honey production as
effected by honeybee stock lines "by Dr. F.E. Moeller (1961) USDA -ARS

I had copies of both for years but have lost both over time. Although I can
almost recite both from memory I would be interested in buying either piece
of literature if a member of the list has a copy or would at least love to
hear from a BEE-L person with the literature.

Another "must read" if interested in honey production is the book "Honey
Getting" by Lloyd Seagrist from around 1944 I believe.

In my humble opinion Dr. Farrar , Moeller and Lloyd Seagrist have forgot
more about producing a large crop of honey than Ormond and Harry Aebi
(current holders of the Guinness book of records for honey from a single
hive).

The Aebi book " The Art & Adventure of Beekeeping  (copy 1975 is an
interesting read but I believe there is more to producing a large honey crop
than the nine entrance cleats shown on page 144 of the book or the placement
of supers shown on page 92.

Thanks for the reply Murray! I power washed the honey house today and am
ready to call the season over. I plan now to repair equipment and read my
friend Adrian Wenner's book "Anatomy of a Controversy" first this winter as
I promised Adrian when he shipped me the book.

Hope to see a few BEE-L people in Jacksonville at the ABF convention. My
friend George I. sent me a email today saying he is planning on attending.
Glad George is feeling up to attending!  I never fail to learn from George!

Bob