From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:14:55 -0400
Glad to see you have found your way around Bee-L Andrew.

Last year, Malcolm Haines, the Australasian agent for Pierco, gave me half a
dozen frames to try.  I put them in on a tea tree flow down the coast.  The
bees drew them OK.  A few spots where they built brace comb but I scrapped
these out with the hive tool and the bees drew it properly the second time.

I found it had to be a reasonable honey flow to get it drawn otherwise it just
sat there.

This is of course unwaxed foundation.  We don't recommend getting waxed
foundation from overseas as it can bring in wax contaminated with fluvalinate.
We in Australia are proud of our clean uncontaminated wax and we are fortunate
in not having mites which require treatment.

For the unwaxed foundation, I have been told by beekeepers in Australia using
the permadent foundation that they paint the foundation with a thick sugar
syrup solution before putting it in the hive.  They claim the bees take it
well.

Andrew, try drawing some on the glycine, if the frost doesn't get to it first.
If not, then put it in when the poplar gum flowers.  Bees tend to do well on
this.  If you want it drawn sooner, take it down to Cairns for the tea tree.

Good luck.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA