Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:55:44 GMT
>>I actually have tried, over many years, the empty box with old comb technique and have struck out every year.

Baiting and trapping is not easy if you are not in a bee-rich area.

>>I have been on the call list for swarms and only have had one call...

I have not had a good experience with swarm lists.  Whenever I heard about something, it'd have been a week later and the swarm would have already departed for parts unknown...

You'd be better off visiting several exterminating companies in your area and offer your bee removal services to the responsible few who will contact you right away if they come across a swarm or a colony.

>>My first swarm call resulted in a device to get bees off the trunk of a tree and won first prize at the 2003 EAS meeting.

Please do tell more!

>>One thing that I have not seen is if the saucer has better drawing if colored and/or odored and if so, what?

A light color dish will nicely stand out against grass.  A little natural scenting will bring the bees in even quicker.  They have done studies that showed bees picked up on good contrast very well.

I'd go to an area with a somewhat decent nectar bloom to quickly verify bee presence and then set up my dish.  A thicker sugar water would attract lots of bees.

Waldemar

Waldemar