From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:02:22 -0400
I really thought that NRDC article was inaccurate and misleading.

The message seemed to be that pesticides are the reason 1/3 of
commercial hives perished during the winter of 2004-2005.

No mention was made of  the miticide resistance issue facing most
beekeepers which seemed to peak during that time period.  No
mention was made of the frequent misuse of TACTIC by beekeepers
to battle Varrora mites or the misuse of checkmite etc. For that matter
no mention was made either of what the beekeeper featured in the
article uses to treat for mites in his own hives.  I'd love to know what he
used or uses now.

I keep bees and grow apples. Some of my hives sit in my orchard year
around. We carefully spray insecticides/fungicides occasionally
during the spring after petal fall and have not seen any loss of bees or
honey crop in that yard as compared to other nearby beeyards.

Other regional beekeepers who do pollination for apples in Mn/Wis
also do not appear to have any problems either.

The co-exsistance of the proper use of ag chemicals and bees in
overlapping areas is very common despite the distorted message in
the article.

The poplar tree/Sevin problem was the result of a relatively new move
by the timber industry to grow hybridized poplars in Mn. The Mn DNR
and International Paper Co were found at fault and a landmark court
decision came forth that has had an impact on all checmical
applicators in Mn.

I thought the article took a real and serious problem
(sevin/poplar/honeybee issue in Mn) and attempted to make some
extrapolations that I for one just don't buy.

The most ironic point to me is that no mention was made of the
chemicals that are dumped annually into beehives around the USA.