Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 20:00:53 GMT
>>I am sure we don't want to get into an argument about transgenic crops again, but I would like to point out that people tend to be afraid of new things they don't understand. Unfortunately, very few average citizens have the time or inclination to TRY to understand what genetic modification is and what it does. It is not inherently evil, unnatural, or harmful.

Peter,

This argument, that's typically made by GMO lobbyists, is plain wrong.  People are afraid precisely because they understand the potential consequences.  The following is only a hamster study but keep in mind some 70% of US diet is GMO.  It doesn't [yet] prove a direct link but it does make one wonder why such a high rate of US women have reproductive problems.  And who is to say pollinators are unaffected?  Mickey Mouse studies from Monsanto do not convince me.

"After feeding hamsters for two years over three generations, those on the GM diet, and especially the group on the maximum GM soy diet, showed devastating results. By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies. They also suffered slower growth, and a high mortality rate among the pups.

And if this isn't shocking enough, some in the third generation even had hair growing inside their mouths--a phenomenon rarely seen, but apparently more prevalent among hamsters eating GM soy.

The study, jointly conducted by Surov's Institute of Ecology and Evolution of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the National Association for Gene Security, is expected to be published in three months (July 2010)--so the technical details will have to wait. But Surov sketched out the basic set up for me in an email.

He used Campbell hamsters, with a fast reproduction rate, divided into 4 groups. All were fed a normal diet, but one was without any soy, another had non-GM soy, a third used GM soy, and a fourth contained higher amounts of GM soy. They used 5 pairs of hamsters per group, each of which produced 7-8 litters, totally 140 animals."

Waldemar