From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:28:02 -0500
>I am sorry but the distinction between species is hardly ever obvious.

I think we are in agreement on the above as a *general* rule .

Your term *hardly ever* seems to leave room for exceptions.

Still when you go back and look at the pictures in all the bee books and
magazines prior to the discovery of varroa destructor the pictures are of
round varroa J. All articles speak of only one species of varroa.

After the discovery I looked at hundreds of varroa with my 16 power pocket
lens and all were oblong.

I was mistaken like the rest of the U.S. beekeepers and researchers.

My noticing the shape difference was easy but very unscientific.

I was only wondering at the time why the shape would be different.

I actually forgot the issue until years later with the discovery of
Anderson.

before another comes on the list and says only DNA proves varroa destructor
will say so.
Still oblong versus round is acceptable as a rough diagnosis.

bob