From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:03:20 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Peter
L Borst <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I think the oil based stuff sticks better and is perhaps safer for the
>queen. Modern water based paints and "white out", for example, have weird
>stuff in them.

Never seen any ill effects from the 'weird stuff' in the likes of tip-ex
for marking.

However it has only ended up here as a result of queens purchased,
either as trials or breeders, from other peoples units. It does seem to
wear off quicker than proper paint.

In our own unit we go to Halfords (car and cycle spares outlets) and
they have a paint matching service where they mix any colour you like
for auto paintwork touch ups. We get it in little bottles with a brush
inside the cap, buy three bottles, one for each of the beekeepers to
carry around with them, and do the whole unit with that. We ask them to
only half fill the bottles so there is only paint on the brush itself
and not the length of the brush shaft as well.

I note some posts have gone on to how the queen is restrained for
marking. We catch her by the wings with the right hand, get her to grip
the left hands index finger with her legs, pin at least the two big legs
on one side with the thumb so she is immobilised, clip at least the two
wings on one side about two thirds back (one side or two, makes no
difference), dab on the paint, and drop her back onto the combs. Done.
Sounds long but actually its extremely fast and no mess. Reverse the lot
if you are left handed of course. ( Include that as I just KNOW someone
will come in with that point).
--
Murray McGregor