From:
Michael Housel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:19:22 EDT
       The wood we use in our hives may have bugs on the surface.  If you
have ever itched after assembling your new wood boxes, it most likely was from
very small bugs.  I use bugs which to me implies that you can see them.  This is
not so you need a microscope.  Whatever they are there and to me it is
important in that "IF THE BUGS WON'T EAT IT I DON'T WANT IT."  This means that they
are living and so will I.  Age old survival of the rulers by having someone
else taste their food.
       When you place new frames and boxes into a hive the wood has a nice
new appearance and very light in color.  Bees will take care of their own is it
is not treated, poisoned, and/or sealed.  When you have a large enough
population in a hive within a couple of visits the wood will have a darker color.
How they get this covering, propulas, into every little corner is like the
"Midis Touch."  Beekeepers always have propulas on there hands it coats evenly and
will kill bacteria, fungus, and virus.  Propulas will seal the hot water in
trucks radiator, coat metal parts in the trucks oil, and work as latch
lubricant.  Inside the hive it is what makes the pure natural sterile area for the
production of the only food "That Will Last Forever ."  Simply put it coats the
virus, bacteria, or fungus with a coating like we do for making a pill of
toxins.
       The debree that you add to the walls like paint work on the footing
holds of a bee and give the small hive beetle the advantage of movement.  I can
go on with other problems like toxins in the hive, but I would like this to be
positive information.
       The corners where the wax worms, roach eggs, beetle larvae and
whatever are lain is the area that needs our attention.  Glue sealing this with an
edge that the bees can help in the removal or prevention of the whatever.  It
also leaves the water out and the beetles no place to hide.  Gluing to hold the
wood together, water sealing, and less buggy problems is a must.
       The use of a propane hand held torch does not mark up the inside or
open the corners.  Ants are much less a problem and the propulas coating is not
destroyed by the heat.  Burl wax is melted and adds to the coating.  Mites in
the wood are killed by the temperature of the torch and not smoke.  The torch
will also keep the hive in its normal air of production of honey.  Smoking
stops as the bees are to full to sting or work for that day.  Weekly smoking with
a loss of one days production would mean a 1/6 increase in production
directly to the storage of honey.
       Seal the outside sure but leave the inside to the bees.
       Michael Housel                               Orlandobee