From:
Joel Klose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:57:41 -0400
Greetings Randy and others,

{Fenpyroximate is also available as an ag formulation, so we can expect
commercial beekeepers to start applying it with shop towels, etc, soon.}

Randy, should I conclude from this statement that as a commercial beekeeper
you plan to take this approach?  Of course not!

Although I am well aware commercial beekeepers often get the blame for most
of what goes wrong in beekeeping it is not a fair characterization when
generalized like this.  Yes it is likely there will be irresponsible
beekeepers using this incorrectly (assuming it is viable to do so) and some
of them will certainly be commercial. However I have seen mavrik on
popsickle sticks in 10 hive apiaries, mysterious patty concoctions in 50
hive operations and 1200 hive operations with cough drops (menthol) and
Apistan strips on throughout the honey flow. In the latter the company had
their honey tested throughout the season to make certain it was "safe", yes
it's getting the cart before the horse.  Last year I became aware of a 25
hive apiary which had Checkmite strips on during a period hives had made 2
supers of capped honey.  The world of hobby and sideline beekeeping is just
as fraught with misues as the commercial aspect with the distinct
possiblity of industry impact should contanimated honey reach the food
supply and the media.   My point is improper use of potentially dangerous
chemicals should be attributed to irresponsible beeekepers as a caste, not
commercial, sideliners or hobbyist.  Everyone needs to be held responsible
for using potentially dangerous chemicals improperly.

Most of us have had lingering thoughts for years what the implications are
from chemicals, poor queen breeding, varroa spread and many other aspects
of our craft.  In truth we don't have any real conclusion yet do we, CCD is
the poster child for that fact.  Let's keep an open mind on Hivestan as a
possible "tool" until we get all the facts before us and make an educated
decision. In the real world not every chemical is evil.

Best Regards,
Joel