From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2014 23:20:36 +0100
It was totally predictable that following the EU ban there would be some claiming total disaster and others saying that there was no problem coping without the neonicotinoids.  Politics?

Here in the Midlands we are surrounded by rape each year.  This year's rape crop was sown before the ban came into place but, interestingly, the weather was so poor when it flowered that the bees were unable to work it and we had virtually no rape honey.  However, when the weather warmed up we had one of the best years that we have seen for a very long time: colony numbers up by more than 50%, an excellent crop, and bees going into winter in great condition.

Make of it what you will - I look forward to see what happens next year.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W