From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:19:25 -0500
Hi Randy & All

I am also sitting on the fence as regards neonics and have been since
day one.  I am several km from the closest field crops and have not,
personally, had to deal with the losses such as were suffered in PEI
with potato drenching or here in Ontario with corn seeding dust.  PMRA
took samples in these cases, confirming neonics killed the bees, and
made recommendations on corrective actions.  I  have noticed the
almost complete conversion to corn for many years here in South
Central Ontario with little or no crop rotation.  In 2016, obvious
changes happened because grain, wheat barley etc, which I have not
seen for years has been grown in several locations nearby.  Is this
the result of smart thinking on the part of farmers or the affect of
the Ontario rules that require farmers to prove pest action before
pesticide treated seed can be planted.

On 26-Nov-16, at 8:32 AM, randy oliver wrote:
> Neonics are vastly overused as seed treatments, and if the evidence
> holds
> that their residues are indeed adversely effecting aquatic systems,
> then
> there needs to be better regulation of their application.

PMRA has taken the first steps, after convincing themselves that a
problem exists, and I hope they will be successful.  As much of the
battle about neonic use has been politically motivated, on both sides,
I expect several on this list to claim BIG BROTHER IS TAKING OVER OUR
FARMS!!!!!

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada