From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:07:46 +0100
[log in to unmask] asked:

> I had not realized English ivy flowered and secreted nectar in quantity
> that's attractive to bees.  Does anyone know if it's a good source?  It's
> attractive to plant in any garden.

In the UK, ivy is the last major nectar and pollen source fowering until the
frosts begin.  Although it gives surplus in some areas, most would probably
regard it as a late top-up for the bees - perhaps more for its pollen than
its nectar.

Many insects work ivy - flies and wasps as well as bees - and on a fine day
the noise can be so loud that you might think that there was a swarm in the
ivy.

However, ivy nectar granulates rapidly and there have been claims that it is
dangerous to bees - even granulating in their crops and causing death.  Not
a problem that I have seen though and I welcome the late supply of pollen.

Peter Edwards