Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:50:19 -0500
> I continue to wait for those free 50 degree days. Is there any way I can inspect my hives in winter on days lower than 50?

I gather you are not too experienced and have concerns about opening hives on cold days.  That is wise.

Personally, I will open a hive to look in on top in any weather that is not windy or snowing.  My hives are wrapped, though, and I don't look long -- and I re-establish the seal by closing the wraps.

If your hives are not wrapped, you could break the seal opening the hive, and a crack the size of a matchstick (1/16") all around the rim adds up to something like a four square inch area, so you might want to tape the crack after or think better of the idea.

As for how long and how deep to look, I would recommend against pulling frames, although experienced beekeepers pull a frame or two when warranted.  There can be a reduced wintering success from even such minor manipulations, though, so don't do it unless the bees are obviously starving and you have some feed combs.

A minute or two of observation without disturbance other than lifting the lid won't hurt them at all.

Basically, if you look in, satisfy yourself that the bees are there and alive and in a cluster.  Look down beside the top bars to see if there is capped feed.  If it is a cold day and the bees are active, they may be running low on feed.  If they are in a cluster the size of a volleyball or so, and just moving their butts slowly with their stingers out, then all is probably just fine.