Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:32:01 GMT
hi all,

we are just recovering from our trip to arizona, and the organic beekeeping conference.

one concept that came up a few times is the impact on the gene pool that commercial breeding operations has, and that it's preferable to keep a lineage of queens in a hive (requeening with daughters of the current queen) in order to maintain a diverse gene pool.  ...the videos of these talks (by kirsten ebberston and randy quinn) will be available soon (anyone with suggestions on where to post longer videos than the 10min youtube limit, i'd love to hear from you).

also, i gave a rather long winded talk that covered a lot of ground (management, economics, marketing, doomsday scenarios, organic standards, etc).  probably a bit radical for this group, but i'd love to discuss any of this on or off list (if i don't put my ideas up for criticism, how can i improve them?):

http://www.beeuntoothers.com/btalkpt1.mp3
http://www.beeuntoothers.com/btalkpt2.mp3

deknow