From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2012 15:49:26 -0500
Sorry

We may not like the use of the word toxic with respect to fumagillin, but
it is classified as being cytotoxic and genotoxic.  That why Dr. Cramer was
looking for alternatives, warned against misuse of fumagillin, care by the
applicator.

From many decades of pollution work, we have found that overall
contamination from sources outside  the hive tends to be LOWER in terms of
concentration in honey than for other hive components including the bees  themselves,
pollen, and wax.  That's the good news.  However,  it is not always the
case, there are some exceptions.  I've always  thought that somehow the bees are
doing a bit of filtering and altering in the  processing which helps
protect the product.

Things put inside the hive, especially when presented as a food (including
grease patties) or in/on something like a shop towel that can  disintegrate
are much more likely to appear in the honey.  Part of the  cost of the
registered and approved miticides is the engineering  employed to reduce chances
of contamination, such as the waxy strips that  disperse the chemical by
contact but don't tend to shed it into the honey.

Jerry