From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 08:20:15 -0800
I was listening to a radio broadcast yesterday in which one panelist was
defending Americans who choose to purchase foreign cars.  Midway in the
debate, he brought up the interesting observation that he was on the only
one on the panel who actually owned only American cars (three in fact).
 The point is that he was able to debate ideas independently of his own
personal biases and choices.

I find myself in a similar situation.  During discussions on this list, I
sometimes find that that discussion is completely one-sided, and that the
opposing point of view is not being represented.  For the sake of honest
and meaningful discussion I feel compelled to jump in and argue for the
other side, even if I do not necessarily agree with that side.  I find that
the best way to truly understand all aspects of a debate is to play Devil's
Advocate.

What sometimes occurs when I do so is that some others then take cheap
shots at me in questioning my integrity--using "argumentum ad hominem" in
an attempt to discredit me personally, rather than sticking to the facts
and issues of the debate.

I've found myself in an odd position of late--that of "defending" chemical
and seed companies.  This greatly bothers some that I would have the
audacity to actually defend their demonized targets and dismember their
straw man arguments.

I was recently questioned about who paid for some of my transportation to
speak at a beekeepers convention, as though that would invalidate my
objectivity.  However, no one seems to care when my flight is paid by a
third party with whom they don't have personal issues (such as for an
upcoming conference in which my flight is paid by a queen producers
organization so that I can speak to the state beekeepers on beekeeping
husbandry).  Does that mean that I can no longer speak about queen breeding?

 And I guess that I must recluse myself if any discussion of ice cream ever
comes up on the List, since I receive a stipend from Haagen Dazs as an
advisor to their Haagen Dazs Loves Honey Bees funding of bee researchers.
Taken to its extreme, perhaps I shouldn't even discuss beekeeping issues at
all, since the majority of donations for my research come from individual
beekeepers (both hobby and commercial) and beekeeping associations.

In order to set the record straight, I am a lifelong "casual" organic
gardener and orchardist (I occasionally throw a handful of nitrogen
fertilizer to "seed" my compost, and occasionally use herbicide on stubborn
poison oak).  I would love to live in an ideal world in which humans did
not use pesticides, nor destroy the habitat of the rest of the Earth's
inhabitants.  But I also realize that that is only a dream, what with some
seven billion hungry humans on the planet.

I also see the absolute folly in massive monoculture and the lack of
genetic diversity when a few large companies provide the majority of seeds.
And  I'm concerned about the release of certain transgenic organisms.

In my own bee operation I breed bees for the eventual goal of being able to
go completely treatment free--but I'm not there yet.  Just because I may
test and report on some new treatment doesn't necessarily mean that I plan
to use it in my own operation.  I am not a salesman for any product or
company.  I simply wish to provide accurate, unbiased information to
beekeepers.

I do not live with the constant sort of fear and hand wringing exhibited by
some of my fellow environmentalists--I am by nature an optimist.  However,
I am deeply concerned about the  habitat destruction caused by humans and
the loss of biodiversity, which leads to unstable ecosystems.  As such, I
am a lifelong member of the Sierra Club and the Nature Conservancy, our
local land trust, and local environmental groups.

But that doesn't mean for a moment that I support every position taken by
those groups, and I often write them to express my opinion.

I also speak regularly with beekeepers from all over the world, as well as
with bee researchers (I've already written to two this morning, questioning
their studies).  Yesterday I was phoned by a scientist from a major
pesticide company who wanted to know unbiased details about the effects of
fungicides upon bees in almond pollination.  At one of the national
conventions I even sat at lunch with a representative of Monsanto at the
table (I paid my own bill).  If I want to find the truth about beekeeping
issues, I want to speak to all the players.

Wow, sounds like I'm getting a lot off my chest!  Thing is, that yesterday
morning a poster to this List just went too far in an attempt to impugn my
integrity with what I considered to be a cheap shot.  It bugged me all day
as I drove a load of hives to almonds (and then spoke in the evening to a
hobby club), and I guess that I needed to spew so that I could put it out
of my mind (and get to work at preparing a presentation for another club
tonight, prior to going out and staging hives in the rain today).  My day
begins about 5am with reading scientific papers, then I usually put in 8-10
hours with beekeeping, and tonight I'll get home after midnight after a
long drive home from the speaking engagement.  I just don't have time for
silly accusations distracting me from my busy schedule!

How about we just stick to debating facts, rather than trying to discredit
those on the list who really care about bees and beekeepers.

Thanks for listening!

Randy Oliver

--
Randy Oliver