From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:40:43 -0600
> I am sure that you and many do not need to have anyone explain the
> definition of regress or regression but you did ask for a concise
> definition of "regressed bees".

There is the problem.  When people anything does not need to be defined
because we know what it is, I am pretty sure we don't.

> I will try to explain it as I see it. Others may see it quit different.

That is even less reassuring.

> regress;  returning to a former state, go back to a previous state, or The
> act of passing back; passage back; return; retrogression
> regression; returning to a former state or The act of passing back or
> returning
>
> ... taking note that bees were altered in size (bigger) by mechanical
> means (using different cell sizes)

A temporary phenotypic effect, I should think?

> ...with genetics

Selection?

> ...and possibly fed artificial feeds (Sugar syrups and pollen substitutes)

A temporary phenotypic effect, I should think?

> ...to regress bees is to have them use a smaller worker comb size to
> produce brood,

That assumes that that, in the "former condition", bees were on a "smaller
worker comb size".  For most of history, and in many places, they were on
natural comb.  To truly regress thus, we should not use foundation, I should
think.  Or was there a golden age of beekeeping during the few years that
EHB were kept on smaller foundations that is our ideal state?

> breed a bee for local conditions

If there were no natural bees in that region, and all honey bees are
imports, how to we then regress?  To nothing?  No bees?

> and cell size preferred

Given a choice bees generally prefer to build *beside* the foundation, not
on it, and a variiety of sizes and shapes, all on the same comb.

> and allow the bees to feed on stores they themselves brought in by
> naturally foraging plants and flowers.

Okay.  I think we all do that, so that point is moot.

> To regress bees is to retrogress bees to their natural normal state before
> beekeepers altered their state.

Okay, so how does more breeding, more manipulating, more transporting, and
providing different man-made hives with restrictive foundation come into
this?

>> is "regressed" a permanent state?  Huh?
>
> No, beekeepers can alter them back to the altered state again as was done
> in the past and is still being done today.

So, what is the term for that? -- "progressed" bees?

> Even I am trying to alter my line of bee to better withstand the
> conditions I keep bees in, which of course is my local conditions.

How can they regress to their natural state with you getting in the way of
their natural process and introducing your prejudices?  (I'm assuming you
must have some, since we all do).

allen

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I
couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
            -- Robert Benchley