From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:21:49 -0500
"On a related note, in east-central Iowa there has been no problem with
either butterfly abundance or diversity this summer despite the fact that
69% of Iowa's entire landmass is covered with GMO corn and soybean
monocultures nearly all of which is planted using neonic coated seed."

I moved two years ago from suburban St. Louis to an hour northwest, a rural
area surrounded by corn and soybeans. Neonics don't overly concern me, but I
was a bit leery about what farmers may be spraying at various times of the
year.

I have to say, not only are my honeybees doing fine, but I have never seen
so many bumble and carpenter bees as I'm seeing this year. I have three
hives in my backyard, so I figure well over a hundred thousand foragers. I
have lots of things blooming on my 2.5 acres (some intentional, some not),
but other than on my clover these past few weeks, the honeybees I see are
far outnumbered by all the bumbles, carpenters, sunflower bees, squash bees,
sweat bees, those cute green metallic bees, the skinny black bees, and
probably a couple others I'm forgetting for the moment. Oh, and lots of
butterflies and moths, and the occasional hummingbird.

As far as I can tell, in this part of farm country, our native pollinators
are doing just fine.

Eugene Makovec
Missouri USA