From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:35:51 -0400
Hello all.

I try very hard not to weigh in on this list as "the owner/editor".  Most
times I view that role as an unfortunate requirement in LISTSERV's
configuration parameters.  But I cannot divorce myself of the vested
interest I have in this forum.  I strive, as do the other moderators, to
maintain a quality list that does service to the University at Albany, the
subscribers and the beekeeping industry as a whole.

This lists exists due to the generosity of the University at Albany where
the resources are given to host and support the forum.  Originally "owned"
by the late Dr. Edward Southwick, BEE-L was intended for the discussion of
BEES AND BEE BIOLOGY.  In it's infancy, it was populated by researchers
exchanging their ideas and discussions.  As the list got "discovered" by
cyber-beekeepers, Dr. Southwick welcomed their input to the discussions.  As
more and more beekeepers joined the list, it became obvious that the list
was deviating from it's original intent, but this was never addressed by Dr.
Southwick who passed away in August, 1995.

Orphaned, the list continued more or less on auto-pilot.  Beekeepers
continued to come on board, flame wars became commonplace, misinformation
abounded and somewhere along the way most researchers left.  Indeed, the
list degenerated to "chatroom" quality and reached the point that is was
deserving of dissolution.  Rather than ending the list, I chose the only way
of enforcing the requests for civility and netiquette.  That choice was list
moderation.

There are guidelines for submissions to BEE-L.  I used to post them monthly,
but such routine posting led to most routinely ignoring the post.  Many
subscribers will do well to review the BEE-L Guidelines for Posting, which
are available on Allen's web page at:
http://www.internode.net/Honeybee/BEE-L/guidelines.htm

Allen's page calls them "rules", I prefer "guidelines".  With a few
technical exceptions (no HTML, minimal quotes of previously posted
material), the guidelines can be summed up in two words, "Be civil".  It
literally pains me to put in the effort required to host a list of this
size, only to have a contributor come on and rudely challenge the ideas of
others.  I do not live in a fantasy world where everyone always agrees with
everyone else.  I would not care to live in such a world.  If ideas aren't
challenged, things stagnate.  But offensive barbs that alienate contributors
cannot be tolerated.  The guidelines for posting to BEE-L, and netiquette in
general, insist that challenges be presented in a civil manner.
Disagreements need not be rude, differences in thought can be presented in a
way that will not warrant a later apology.  There are times when
contributors forget this.  Most times the list moderators recognize an
offensive post and stop it before it is distributed to the general
membership.  There are times when we falter.  It only takes the approval of
one moderator to distribute a submission, it takes a unanimous withholding
of approval for a submission to be blocked.

It is not often that the list moderators discuss individual submissions
amongst themselves.  But when offensive posts get beyond the safeguards,
things are discussed and hopefully we resolve to continue to strive to keep
up the quality of this forum. But there is only so much the moderators can
do and we are not infallible.  The real responsibility lies with the
subscribers.  If you are posting a challenge to others' views, don't do so
with six guns blazing.  Before you hit the send button, read what you are
about to post and ask yourself if you've said anything in a manner that may
have you posting an apology later.  Have you been civil?  Have you composed
your thoughts in a manner that you would have if the person you are
addressing was sitting at your dining room table sharing dinner?  If not,
recompose your submission.

This list needs the researchers as much as it needs the beekeepers, perhaps
more so.  There are far fewer researchers and scientists on this list.  And
the researchers and scientists are well served considering the views of the
beekeepers.  No one is served when one offends the other.

I apologize for the offences on this list within the past day.

Sincerely,
Aaron Morris