Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:22:48 -0800
Allen Dick wrote:

> Moreover, with simple eavesdropping technology, it might be possible to
> simply monitor from one point near the yard using a dish and microphone.
> Instead of sweating and squashing bees, one could sit in air-conditioned
> comfort and sip a drink of one's choosing while the computer did the work.
>
> I am sure that if the principle has any merit, patterns could be found that
> tell of many things...

 Hello Allen and All,
   The use of electronic monitoring of Beehives has been going on for
some time by Jerry Bromenshenk.It is star wars , at a useful level.Look
at his web site, Bee- alert.
 Sound is a very important part of evaluating conditions within a
beehive.It takes years to understand the sounds that go on in a beehive.
Can you imagine getting a graphical read out, that can be put up against
known behavior charts. As far as that goes,it could be evaluated by a
computer program.
  I have seen Jerry's hives and equipment.The potential is only limited
to ones mind.Evaluation of queens has to be up front in any breeding
skeem.Between sound and chemical studies, which can be done, with the
equipment that is already in place.We can make some quantum leaps in
understanding , what is going on in a beehive.
 Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck