Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 09:01:57 -0400
At 11:33 PM 9/30/97 +-200, you wrote:

>----------

caretaking from your side.(remember, you have disturbed their home, and they
have besides accepting a new queen also to start reparing the damage you
have done to their home) Your information is not that godd that I can tell
you what you did wrong, but I can give you some hints that I use myself,
with good results.

>When you get a new queen, you mostly will be adwised in advance that the
queen is on its way, so that you will be there to pick the queen up from the
post. The day before you want to add the new queen you remove the Old queen
by simpel killing her, and let the dead queen left in the hive. The bees
will then remove the dead queen from the hive , like they remove any other
trash from it. But reardles of in what way,you are reciveing the new queen ,
this queen killing should be done the day before You want to add the new queen.

>What now goes on in the hive is that when the feronomon production stops,
they get prepared to make a new quen, from one or more eegs in the brood
chamber. and of course they get into a kind of panic.

>the next day uou intoduce the new queen.
>
>Some people are using a kind of a queen introducer. I am crafting a little
cornet out of a little peace of newspaper about Ø 3/4 inch and length 2 inches.
>in here i with a neadle put some holes. Now When you recive the new queen,
you put her into this little cornet and close it, by folding the opening. If
you get the queen by mail you can use the little box the queens are shipped in.

>Now cover the cornet with honey  and place it in the top of the Brood
chamber between to frames with a lot of eggs and young larvae. Here you also
will find the most nurse bees, that will protect and take care the new
queen. Close the hive and let the bees alone for the next week.

>becouse of the honey you have added to the cornet, the bees will start
licking of this and not behave aggressiv. When they get to the cornet they
will free the new queen and accept her. But hey will also protect her, and
if you open the hive too soon after introducing the new queen, there is a
risk that this protection will kill her. It can happen that they will ball
her in, and thereby hirt her. and if a queen got damaged in this nesting,
they will replace her. Special at this time of the Year this will be
catastrophich.

>It will always be a good Idea to leave the bees alone as much as possible,
and only disturb them when it is absolut needed.