From:
Jamie Beyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 11:17:03 -0500

 This is my first post and this thread is very interesting for me.

 I have found that using wadded/crumpled up newspapers (non glossy papers) soaked in pond water.  I place 2 foot diameter saucers of these within 50 feet of the hives.  I put about an inch or two of pond/marsh water in the bottom of these saucers.  As the newspaper ages it becomes more attractive.  In all my waterer experiments the bees have to be able to land on something relatively dry and be able to walk to the right moisture level.  The crumpled newspaper high points dry out whereas the low points are higher in moisture level.  Also, there is something in the newspaper that they like.  It is easy to duplicate and cheap.

 I found that bees are attracted to newspaper when I was repotting water lilies.  I always use newspaper to cover exposed lily roots to keep them moist.  My bees were using these -- it was an aha moment.

 There are two 20 x 40 foot water gardens within 150 yards of the hives filled with aquatic plants (lotus, marginal plants and all kinds of water lilies).  There all kinds of areas for bees to water there.  However, with the above saucers of water I do not see many bees at the ponds -- only in my saucers.  The saucers are closer to the hives.

 I have tried yellow sponges in chicken self-waterers, dead leaves in shallow pond water, rocks in shallow pond water, yellow sponge in shallow pond water.  Many attempts with each was tested with no success.  I have also tried floating plastic mesh, used for the needlecraft hobby, in the saucers.  No success, I think because they could not land on a completely dry spot

 This spring I want to try moss in shallow water to see if it is more attractive.  Using compost or manure and getting things at the right concentration to duplicate is tough, in my opinion.  As the water evaporates, the concentrations would change and either would become more attractive or not as attractive. There are also so many different kinds of manure (some may be too high in nitrogen) and different kinds of compost.

 I am very interested in other successful and unsuccessful attempts at providing alternate sources of water.  Thanks

 Jamie Beyer
 Boone, Iowa