From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 17:23:32 -0500
Three in Missouri.

Last I heard one in Illinois.

Florida has quite a few as does Texas but I doubt over a 100.

Kansas has less than 10 last I heard.

I  believe both the AHPA &ABF I spoke to are correct in the guess of under a thousand today.

I would also go with the 2000 figure Pete posted for 23 years ago as correct for 1990.

The 1993 National Geographic beekeeping article (vol. 83 no.5 pg. 76) also uses the 2000 commercial number and says less than half migrate.

The next president of the ABF is a close friend and we talk often. My advice has been for the ABF (I have been a member over 20   years) to move towards the hobby &sideline beekeeper members.

Which has helped membership but is not liked by certain commercial beekeepers.

Tha AHPA will never cater to hobby beekeepers as long as the current people are in power.

Bob