From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:41:26 +0100
Bob,
Sorry to hear about AFB incident.

Would be interested to know if the Min. of Agric. (not knowing what name
they go under now!), as well as other responsible beekeeping bodies in
UK is spreading the word to be extra vigilant regarding AFB, EFB and PMS
due to the presence of Varroa.

Bee colonies are under greater stress and prone to attack from a
multitude of infections due to injury caused by the habits employed by
this mite.
AFB incidence is likely to increase from the low % of occurrence -
therefore beekeepers must be vigilant.
If the incidence increases, what is going to happen to the destroy and
burn policy?
Insurance will only continue to pay if there is a definite limit on the
damage being caused - and if it is a confinable situation.
With Varroa present - I suggest that this is not the case.

I also suggest that if antibiotics are brought into the arena
(officially that is!) - then a series of problems will be set into
motion, eventually producing resistant strains of bacteria.

To Allen D. in Alberta - what would your advice be in answer to this
probable scenario, my accepting that it is hypothetical at the moment.

Regards
Peter