Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:43:58 -0500

<snip>

Ken Hoare wrote:
><snip>
> This season, after reading comments in these pages, have returned to a
> system I tested a few years back - Open Mesh Floors.
> <snip>
>
> Ken Hoare

What size/type mesh material do you use?

Your comments come at a time when I'm considering something to aid in
ventilation. My bottom boards are designed with large integrated landing
boards (sort of along the DE hive design) and on these hot (98deg) the
bees prefer that to hanging on the front of the hive - so much so they
seem to be plugging the entrance. This would seem to make ventilation
even more difficult. I found the following site interesting from the
standpoint of ventilation and mite control
http://www.apiculture.com/plateau-anti-varroas/index_us.htm#top
Offhand I don't see that the tube design has any great advantage over a
mesh material.

When using the open mesh floors do you use some sort of ground cover
under the hive as a moisture/weed barrier?

AL