From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 18:55:21 -0400
Pete wrote:
> Our authors don't speculate on how the mites are transferred, but if
> it is by robbing, then you would expect them all to have about the
> same amount, whether the distance is a meter or a mile. That's seems
> to be what they found.

Hello,

Now that we know from the study that many varroa are transferring ‘ahead
of winter weather’ and at least to “distances up to 1.5 km”
as the study states.   This is strong evidence suggesting that the so
called “virulent varroa” in the Arnot Forest certainly DO have somewhere
to go,  and ARE GOING.  And if we are to believe the study, apparently
these “virulent strains”  would NOT all succumb during winter as was
assumed the case with the feral bees of the Arnot Forest.  And such a
great transfer rate would certainly mitigate selective pressure for the
non virulent mites in a small forest.

If the ‘Invasion of Varroa mites into mite-free colonies’
study is to be taken as factual, we must then consider there would also be
a GREAT transfer rate of varroa, and mixing of varroa genetics (throughout
the summer) in and out of the Arnot Forest, and over great distances
within the known range of robbing bees (foragers, as we know well have a
range of two miles and more).

This research appears to contradict Tom Seeley’s Arnot Forest, ‘non-
virulent mite theory’ which relies heavily on the assumption of virulent
mites <<<‘succumbing in winter with the colony’>>> and a ‘non transfer of
mites between colonies‘ as the bases for the assumption that non virulent
mites are the sole cause for the feral honeybee survival in the Arnot
forest.

Because  the study found that varroa are transferring to other colonies at
a great rate “From August–October”. One could certainly assume that
Seeleys colony of Carnolians would benefit from lower levels of varroa
found in this feral population, and likely equalizing in varroa numbers to
a similar infestation rate found in that population.

Since this study appears to have struck a great hole in the non virulent
theory. One must now entertain the potential for a cause other than non
virulant mites.  Perhaps, just perhaps, an adaptive varroa resistance
mechanism may exist in the feral honeybee population of the Arnot forest.

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles