Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:00:34 -0500
My beekeeping is on a very small scale compared to most of the posters here. I describe it as a hobby that pays for itself.  I try to keep the honey from each apiary separate as they are all different and as the customer likes to know where it comes from, most people seeking local honey. For example, my honey on sale behind the bar in my local pub, the Chalk & Cheese, has travelled about a mile and a half.  The entire crop from a site on a holiday camp was snapped up (at retail price) by the management for sale/giving to their customers.

The crop this very wet year has been the worst that I can remember and, having paid my rent (1 jar per hive) on 3 sites just before Christmas, I have very little left, demand exceeding supply.  I took no crop this autumn from my top bar hive but it is very full. As I did earlier this year, I shall take at willow/dandelion time that which I know has been surplus to their  requirements for winter. Much of it will be able to be sold as 'cut comb' which fetches about twice the price of jarred honey.  I don't feed my bees so I know it is all genuine honey without the possibility of it being partly recycled sugar.

Chris