From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 10:38:56 -0600
Hello All,
 Marc wrote:
 Many in our association have reported large losses this winter ( 50 - 70 %)
 I have been fortunate with less than 15% loss.
Many high losses are being reported across the country.  I was told Friday
the U.S.D.A. has been asking for bee samples from several areas of the U.S..
I like Marc have had low losses and the only problem out of the ordinary has
been a high instance of dysentary.  If the cold winters continue I plan to
winter on sucrose instead of fructose to try to limit the problem.   If you
had serious dysentary problems with your bees and are a hobby beekeeper you
might consider leaving honey on the hives for winter instead of pulling all
the honey and feeding fructose or sucrose.   It has been about five years
since I had serious dysentary problems with the bees.   Back when we had
cold winters.   Our bees were confined for over two months without a
cleansing flight.
I saw on the news this morning our area has had the wetist spring since
1892. Strange weather extremes even for Missouri which is FAMOUS for weather
extremes.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri