From:
Tim Sterrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:12:05 -0500
William Morong wrote:

> We're considering using a small amount of candy to indicate  the bees' hunger
> by a quick sighting of the tops of the frames to see if any has been
> consumed.  If candy is eaten we could then provide better feed.  Has anyone
> any experience that might guide us in this use of
> bee candy?

      If the inner cover is on top of a hive body with stored honey, the
cluster of bees will flow up through the center hole in the inner cover if they
are running out of stored food.  A ring of granulated sugar, poured onto the
inner cover around the center opening, is an easier way to provide a quick meal
for the bees if the cluster does move up.  And if part of the cluster is up on
the inner cover, the bees need to be fed.
      This diagnostic method will not work if the inner cover has no center
opening.  And it will not work if the inner cover is on top of a hive body of
empty combs which is on top of the hive body of combs that held food. The bees
will move up into the empty combs and starve unseen.
       Hives should be heavy when hefted from the back side.  Put one hand on
top of the hive to steady it, and lift at one of the rear handholds.  If the
hive tilts, it probably needs to be fed. Having more than one colony of bees
lets the beekeeper compare colonies.
     When in doubt, feed the bees.
Tim
--