Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2009 22:43:15 -0600
>> I'm interested to know how much change in plants has been documented...

> You can read the papers yourself and make up your own mind...

I was hoping you would point us in that direction, but even moreso, I was
hoping to get the Cole's Notes version.

All I really was wondering was how much of a change they are claiming -- 1%,
10%, 100% or???

>> After all, beekeepers usually say that nothing makes a hive look better
>> than a good honey flow.

> How many beekeepers look carefully at the brood nest immediately after a
> very strong honey flow?  I

Actually, I said, "good".  I remember one very distinct case where I had a
whole yard of bees die over winter after a really strong late fall flow
that -- I assume was without any accompanying pollen flow (alfalfa?), so I
am not equating, "good" with, "very strong".  To me a "good" flow is one
which continues for a period of time in the normal season and is accompanied
with a good pollen supply.

> Sorry.   It appears that bees starve as the result of a severe nosema
> infection.  It makes them more hungry (as judged by the proboscis
> extension reflex), as Chris Mayak's recent paper found.  Makes me wonder
> if that is why Bob and others observe nosema infected bees drowning in
> feeders.

Could be. What I was wondering was if supplements are somehow easier to
digest and hold off the bees' demise a little longer.  Or maybe the benefit
is just the fact that there is lots of it right there and they don't have to
go and get it?

Or maybe none of the above.