Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2010 09:03:11 -0600
> Cattle in feedlots basically stand in the mud or bare dirt, and wait for
> the next load of feed.
<snip>
> I can't see how placing a high density of beehives in a given area is
> anywhere near to a feedlot system.  What are almonds?  Two hives per acre?

As with many such misconceptions, there is a tiny grain of truth behind
associating almonds pollination with idea of feedlot beekeeping.

In moving bees to pollination, commercial beekeepers sometimes find it
necessary for logistic reasons -- snowstorms, uncertain timing, windows of
opportunity, forced moves, unscheduled spraying, legal restrictions on
travel, etc. --  to drop large numbers of hives in fairly barren areas
temporarily for holding and sorting and and to wait for permission until
spraying is over at the destination yards.  Where bees are pulled out of
snow banks in the mid-west, the bees mush be set down somewhere warm to fly
and be assessed.  It would be ideal to go straight to almonds and often this
is possible, but just as often it is not.  I recall seeing a shot of Adee's
large losses on a recent occasion, and the yard shown had held literally
thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of hives stretching on forever.

In such temporary situations, although the bees can fly, there is nothing
for them and they are entirely dependant on their stores and any feed
provided.

Obviously, this is not an ideal condition and you can bet that the beekeeper
is working long hours lining up suitable locations to get them into a more
productive and less destructive environment.