From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:19:43 -0400
Hello Jerry & All,

I agree switching to new pallets and moving does not clear all SHB. I think
you would agree Jerry that once SHB is in your area they are not hard to
find in even a strong hive. I don't know what part of Georgia you are in
but I have looked through hives within 10 miles of the North border all the
way to the south border.

I rate small hive beetle as a minor pest of beekeeping except for honey
house problems.

I drove to DeLand , Florida in 1998 to look at the first SHB situation.
When SHB first hits (or any pest) the situation looks  bad but then
beekeepers and bees adapt and life goes on. My friends in Georgia & Florida
consider SHB about like they do the wax moth.

My friends in South Missouri & Texas are having a tough time  dealing with
SHB the last two seasons but  are  starting to get a handle on the
situation. Ray Batton ( Missouri boot heel) tossed in the towel the first
season he got SHB.

Every time a new pest hits some quit beekeeping and every time the price of
honey goes up or pollination fees increase others come in to replace those
which left.

Times are better (although some will not admit) because for years in the
80's honey was around .37 to .41  a pound ( U.S.)in drums. A high
pollination fee was 25/35 dollars. Many beekeepers left beekeeping.

I started beekeeping over forty years ago. Back then the only real issue
was american foulbrood (which was easily controlled by two different
controls or burning). Still many beekeepers quit. Most new commercial
beekeepers are well informed and don't really know how easy beekeeping was
in the old days.

I am impressed with some of the new generation of beekeepers. They realize
the main truth about beekeeping. Even a bad beekeeper can be successful as
long as he puts in the hours. You need to know when to work from morning
till night ( or dusk to dawn) and when to pick up the fishing pole and
leave for awhile to clear your head.

Bob