From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:22:42 -0600
Hello Randy & All,
Thanks for the compassion Randy!

I have been digging for information on what happened. I believe some pieces
are still missing. I want to get it right for the article. I don't want a
whitewashed version.

I am going to run a few scenarios by the list which is read by all parties
involved. If you agree I have got it right please send me a quick email
saying so. I will not use your name. If you think I still have not got it
right as to what happened please email me and tell what part I have not got
right in your opinion. Thanks in advance!

>and am only guessing, but I guess that growers faced with paying $150
wanted to make sure they got their money's worth.

Actually from what I have been told they were willing to pay for bees. They
did not like having to pay double but cost of doing business.

Then a broker approached the growers with a plan to screw beekeepers. The
plan was to dangle $150 a hive pollination fee in front of their nose and
draw bees from as far away as New York & Florida.
Then when the hives arrive use a stacked deck grading system.designed by the
same broker. Inspectors hired by the same broker. The idea was to force
beekeepers into combining hives to get the fee. Old growth trees typically
need three hives per acre. New growth use two hives per acre.
If you take $150 and divide by three you come up with fifty. You take three
hives beekeepers were expecting to get $150 each for and you have got $450
per acre almond pollination fee. Combine the same three hives into one unit
and you have got the same three hives for $150 OR FIFTY DOLLARS A HIVE.

Actually less than the $65 dollars a hive most beekeepers received across
the board last season.

The above IS what people are telling me! Are they all wrong?

Brokers are saying NOT US! Growers are saying they were never told
beekeepers would be crushed by the plan but only whipped into shape.
California beekeepers like Randy & Keith I don't think even realize what
happened but I hope to open their eyes.

It is what it is!  Lets not cover things up but get things out in the open
about what happened.

Help me get the story right. Set me straight! Did out of state beekeepers
take the bait and fall for the broker plan? Was there ever a plan? Why would
so many people say its so if its not?

>I completely understand about midwestern bees being bred for small winter
clusters that build up later.

All brokers/growers  know what Midwestern bees look like shipped in January.
They have been buying those clusters for years. The growers we have done
business with know what those clusters look like. Everyday while I was
staying in Kerman, California the beekeepers would meet the growers at the
local retaurant for breakfast. I have had weeks of converstation with almond
growers. Some of the nicest people I ever met! They loaned us a shed, let us
load our semi's in the driveway and tried to help in any way they could! If
they had a hand in this it was because they did not understand the full
impact of what was going to happen. They were duped also!

>  I've also seen great bees come out from east of the Rockies, and
explode when they warm up here.

You just described Midwestern  bees. They start packing pollen as soon as
the nets are pulled. We grade or bees into three grades with number one
being the strongest. Bell Hill Honey only sent grade one on 8-10 frames this
year. They were constantly fed the month prior due to the warmest January on
record. Some of the best bees sent in January. ALL 2005 queens of Italian
decent. All arrived alive in excellent shape. Yet the brokers inspectors
said all were sub standard and need combining. 194 were rejected as not up
to the four frame minimum. When checked two days ago on a 60+ degree day the
number 2 & 3 hives left behind are solid in the top box covering 7 * frames
and the cluster extends into the bottom box.
Bell Hill is upset and wants to know what happened as do others.
Can you help!

Bob