From:
Ernest Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:35:31 PST
Hello Gang,

The demise and resurgence of feral colonies in recent
time have got me to thinking about the benefits as
well as the problems they can cause.

As an eternal optimist, I like to focus on the positive
aspects of having feral bee colonies again inhabit
the local woods. I have not seen a wild bee for ten years
in my area. I think this will change soon. Several new
beekeepers have begun apiaries in a 15 mile radius of
my home apiary.

Please consider the following;

The feral colonies that inhabited bee trees in days of
old, died to mite predation for the most part, so the
remaining colonies were somehow resistant.

Beekeepers continue to keep bees and as a result,
swarms will issue forth from various colonies
through out the country.

With this in mind, I propose a plan for discussion
here on the Bee-l. Why not let our best colonies
swarm and replace the feral bee population?

Let's say 1 % of colonies are allowed to swarm
and establish  colonies on their own. Those which
survive will surely be resistant to anything that
would kill them.

If we all allowed only one of our colonies to swarm,
the feral colony count would go up and eventually
benefit the beekeeper as in the past.

de AA1IK,

Ernie Gregoire

R.R. 1, Box 221,