From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:42:19 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Computer
Software Solutions Ltd <[log in to unmask]> writes
>As Dave points out, vaseline should not be applied too liberally. It is also
>important to ensure that the hives are vertical otherwise the supers could
>slip. But I do believe that the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.

In a completely non-migratory situation, out of places where strong
winds might hit them, and on level stands, you may have a point.

However, in most situations, absence of adhesion between the boxes is a
serious nuisance and makes a lot of work at migration times. Although we
do not set out to lubricate these surfaces, when boxes are new, and
before the bees glue them up, I have seen the wind alone clear the top
boxes off a site of colonies, even with rocks on top. Happened this year
near Braemar, in front of my own eyes, a single powerful gust just slid
the top boxes sideways off 6 hives.

It would also mean about 3 man hours per site stapling the colonies up
to prevent them sliding all ways when moving them. We just shift them
with only the floors secured to the bottom box, other wise loose. Roping
the colonies on trucks for the moves also would cause slipping, which
natural bee glue helps prevent.

I appreciate only too well we are not talking about the same types of
operation here, but I doubt I would do it even if I was a small
hobbyist, as it will bring attendant difficulties which, IMO, will
outweigh the benefits.
--
Murray McGregor